::Serendipity::



 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 
_______________________ _______________________ _______________________ ________________________
 
 

 

 

 

 

 


Gardening in the Alaskan Wilderness ________________________________________________________________
This whole blogging thing... I've been a flake. I'm going to attempt to flake no more. I am a firm believer in being flake free.

My life has been much more Facebook-y lately. I can write a couple sentences and call it good. I'm not too interesting. Ever notice that the happier you are, the less you have to blog about? Well, at least that's true for me! No drama, no blog-a.

I'm all about the knitting lately, thanks to my BFF. She gets me going into fun and good hobbies. I like sitting on my butt for hours at a time and having something to show for it. Because I like anything that gives me an excuse to sit on my butt.

Unfortunately, she's also gotten me into gardening. Not so much butt sitting when I garden. This is my first year planting seeds instead of buying plants and trying not to kill them before I get my gosh darn squash! Now there is the stress of waiting for my seeds to pop through the surface. My BFF has a load of eggplants. I have NONE. And my Heirloom Chocolate Tomato seeds I saved to plant aren't popping either. Then I second guess myself. This is worse than what I remember dating to be like. Did I use the right soil? Did I keep them warm enough? Were the seeds bad? Ugh. I don't need this stress! Fortunately, I have lots of other things in full sprout mode, or I'd be very sad. I'm a sensitive garden soul.

Now I have to worry about keeping my seedlings alive until I transplant them. It's just a freakin' seed. Doesn't nature usually do this kind of thing all by itself?

Other than the kids being so excited and proud of me when the seeds poke their way through the soil all green and lovely, (as if I actually said a magic spell and made it happen) is that gardening reminds me of my Grandfather. He always had huge amazing gardens. I used to help him weed. Sometimes. I wish I payed more attention to him. I remember these intricate little support systems he'd build from sticks and string for his green beans. I remember having to eat swiss chard all the time because we had a ton from the garden, and I hated it. Now I want to grow it and appreciate it like I should have then.

Last summer, my first garden was small, but I learned a lot. I learned I need a lot more lettuce, I need to plant carrots sooner, and plant more zucchini. I learned that aphids are from hell and early frosts suck. I also learned that I don't like dirt under my nails, but I love the way it feels and smells. I can have nice hands in the winter. Gimme some nice earthy DIRT!

Michael made a deal with a greenhouse and got some lovely grow lights for me. Gardening in Alaska isn't for wimps. It takes equipment! He set up some desks for me out in the garage where our furnace is so it's nice and warm in there. The room is walled in plastic to keep the heat in. I go out to the garage a few times a day, unlock it, go into the plastic room and water my would be infant crops, talk to them, nurture them, scold the ones that aren't doing well, lock up and leave. It feels like a secret science project. Or like I'm growing pot or something. Which I'm not, but wouldn't put it past a few of my neighbors. 'Cha! Michael did request I not grow as many flowers because he thinks it's better to be able to eat what we grow. Great point! I'll remind of him he said that when I make a lovely tossed nasturtium salad!

posted by Terri at 4/15/2010 12:26:00 PM >3 comments

3 Comments:

<$BlogItemComments$>
<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...
<$BlogCommentBody$>
<$BlogCommentDateTime$> <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

Post a Comment

<< Home

Main Menu

Home
My Profile

Our Next President


Groups

Book Lovers
Busy Cooks

Blog Roll

My Awesome Mom
Kitchen Logic
Pantyless Preacher’s Wife
Notes from the Trenches
Jane Doe
AJ’s Clubhouse
Spynotes
Bettyalready
Chaos Daily
Cosmic Crayola
Darlafly
Dragging My Ink*Locked*
Forty Plus
Hindmost
Kitchen Cook
Kitchen Lite *Locked*
Requiel

Book Blogs

Mine: AK Book Mama
Books Along the Way
Just Read the Book!
Kristie Loves Books
The Book Bitches
Trashionista

Description

This is a weblog design modified (with Love) from Purple-ish by Irisheyes' Husband. Copyright 2007

Shelfari Bookshelf


Awards

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Archives


May 2007

June 2007

July 2007

August 2007

September 2007

October 2007

November 2007

December 2007

January 2008

February 2008

March 2008

April 2008

May 2008

June 2008

July 2008

August 2008

September 2008

October 2008

November 2008

December 2008

January 2009

February 2009

March 2009

April 2009

May 2009

September 2009

October 2009

April 2010

May 2010


Powered By







 

Google AdS