In the Midnight Hour
________________________________________________________________
I know, my Christmas blog stuff is still up. My tree is still up too. I'm trying to prolong the season. Heh. My plan is to get it put away this weekend.
Last night, Michael left for Orlando for a big Expo. He'll be broadcasting from down there and everything. Tomorrow he's having breakfast with R. Lee Ermy. I wish I could be there for that! Of course it was a long, uncomfortable flight that took all night and part of the day. And they lost his luggage with the broadcasting equipment, so he'll have to phone in his show. Stupid air travel. Ugh.
And I miss him. *sigh*
Especially last night at 1:00 in the morning. Riley and I went to bed late after watching Poirot on DVD. Nothing scary. Just a little Belgium detective with a funny mustache. I was snuggled in bed, all sprawled out right smack in the middle (trying to find some advantage to sleeping alone) reading my book. Twenty minutes later, I heard a strange thump. Riley said she locked the door. Kids have been asleep for hours. I ignored it. A few minutes later, I heard it again, only it was from outside the window the bed is under. The window is sealed up for winter, so I couldn't look out, even if I wanted to. My room is at the front of the house and the front yard is right outside the window and the girls' room is upstairs right above me. Sometimes sound travels from their room, but they were sound asleep.
I tried reading again. Another noise from the other side of the house where my room is. The adrenaline starts pumping. It's 3AM, and Michael texts me to let me know he arrived in Seattle. I texted him back and told him I was freaked out. He called me right back, the sweetie. He said it was good to feel needed. Heehee. He thought maybe because it warmed up here dramatically and suddenly, it was the house shifting, or snow falling off the roof. I agreed, but it sure didn't sound like either of those things. It sounded like the dog jumping on the house when he wants to come in, but he was upstairs with Riley. The thumps were still coming several times an hour.
I texted my Mom, the early bird who is 3 hours ahead of me and she kept me company until the adreline started to wear off, and I was getting cranky that the noise was keeping me awake instead of freaking me out. Mom's always make it all better.
I finally went to sleep. Tim woke me up at 8 and I got up long enough to make sure everyone was up and around and changed and fed and went back to bed for a wee nap.
I still don't know what the heck made all the racket! I went outside and looked around the house and there were no tracks in the snow. Just Jack's path he makes, but no new prints. The snow had fallen off the roof on that part of the house the day before.
I sure worked myself up into a fright. I've been feeling silly about it all day. But now it's dark out. And I'm in my room with the laptop. I wonder how many kids would want to sleep with me tonight? I wonder if little elbows jabbing me will keep me awake as much as the phantom noise maker?
5 Comments:
<$BlogItemComments$>-
<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...
-
<$BlogCommentBody$>
-
<$BlogCommentDateTime$>
<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment
<< Home