Xander is the Eleventh Doctor!
________________________________________________________________
Yes, the SIL that blew off Michael's birthday is the same one who has entrusted me with her toddler and two teenage boys at the drop of a hat. Taken shelter in my home when her ex threatened her and her children. Opened up my family to child welfare services when her ex made false accusations against us all. And asked me to take care of her toddler for six months. I have learned that keeping score only hurts. It's taken me 38 years and almost divorcing my husband to figure that out, but I'm much happier that way. SIL has done some things to help out. When we need her to pick up a pump while she's in town and our basement is flooding, she's the girl. Things that require planning? Not so much. However! I may not keep score, but I know the score if you get my drift. It's disappointing, but not surprising. It's been a week since I got a text from her. She was thanking me for the gift certificate I gave her so she could get her hair done. I don't know.... I'm just shaking my head and moving on.
Yesterday, Xander gave us all a scare like I've never had in his entire life. Here's where you yell at me for being the worst mother ever! Timothy was outside playing with his friends. Riley was just getting up because she had a cold. Maggie and Emily were getting ready to go outside. Xander was.... Where was Xander? I called and called. I was here the entire time. We ran upstairs and looked in everyone's bedroom. We called and called and looked in every room. Finally I decided we better look outside. Timothy hadn't seen him. The kids got all their friends to look around the neighborhood for him and I jumped in the van to drive around. Fifteen minutes later, I met Maggie back at the house. She found him. He was hiding in my little china cabinet the entire time. He used to get in there with Ian and they would play hide and seek. Oh. My. Goodness! Then he had the nerve to laugh. Ooooo. Little turkey! I would have punished him if I weren't so relieved he was all right! Then I had to get back in the van and look for Riley. Poor kid was a complete wreck! I think it finally dawned on Xander that his little game wasn't funny when he realized how we were all crying. He apologized many times and after some snuggles, it was nap time. Thank goodness he hasn't wanted to get out of his crib yet and I could relax knowing he was safe. Tim learned that trick early too. Whew! That was the longest fifteen minutes of our lives!
Timothy used to escape all the time. He'd open the front door and run for the hills from the time he was tall enough to reach the door knob. I was in a constant state of panic keeping track of that boy! Michael finally bought a slide lock he couldn't open for a while. Until he figured out he could use a chair to reach it. The front door is at the other end of the house down the hallway. We can't see or hear a thing from the living room or kitchen. I'd chase him and ask him where he thought he was going. "I don't know. I'm just going!" he'd answer. I imagine he'll be quite the explorer one day. He's got his namesake's sense of adventure.
In retrospect, I should have realized Xander wouldn't have gotten very far without his shoes. Tim took off without them all the time. He has tough toes! Xander, not so much. He wouldn't have left without putting them on and I didn't even think to check!
I'm still so upset at myself about the whole thing! Mommy Guilt is imbedded deeply.
Now, you know we're a family of geeks, right? Michael loved Doctor Who when he was a kid. Back with there was the Fourth Doctor played by Tom Baker. He has since passed on this love of Doctor Who to his children and we all like to watch the old series on DVD as well as the new episodes. Riley is especially enamored with the current Doctor Who. Well, as the kids play, Xander has learned a few things. He likes to put a laundry basket on his head and in a robotic voice says, "exterminate" like a Dalek. The china cabinet? Well, that's the TARDIS. The police call box that the Doctor travels in. Xander hasn't played in his 'TARDIS ' in months. It didn't even occur to me to look there! So that's the story of how Xander become the 11th Doctor.
posted by Terri at
8/19/2008 02:10:00 PM>5 comments
5 Comments:
<$BlogItemComments$>-
<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...
-
<$BlogCommentBody$>
-
<$BlogCommentDateTime$>
<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment
<< Home