|
|
Michael's Birthday Meander
________________________________________________________________
Saturday, my sweetie turned 39 years old! His sister had been planning a big party for him for months. I've been quizzed on his favorite color, salad, meat, bbq sauce and type of baked beans for weeks. I had to come up with a number of guests 2 months ahead of time. So, the week before said party, I started calling so I could tell the people I invited to surprise him what TIME to be at this big shindig. No return calls... I texted. I e-mailed. I phoned again. No return calls.... Finally, on Saturday morning, I told him what she had planned. He looked kind of sad about it, and I realized I really should have just kept my fat mouth shut, but I thought maybe she told him about it and thought he talked to me. Nope. She completely blew him off. Completely. He called her and said, "I have no plans on my birthday, I thought you might to come over.." Apparently, her male friend flew in to be her escort to a wedding that weekend. It's okay though. She brought pizza over Sunday and a card to make up for it. I love her! I really do. But was there ever born a more flighty woman? I don't think so.
So I threw together a last minute par-tae at this brewery and dinner house. Two other couples and a single guy we're buddies with were thrilled to come. I made reservations. Or so I thought. When we arrived, they said they don't take reservations, but do a "first call" thing when the hostess last night took down my name and number. What's a first call? I have no idea because the 30 minute wait for a table turned into over an hour. My sweetie was pretty disappointed (read: pissed off and pacing) about it. Once we finally got seated, it was a blast! We all had SO much fun. He still talked about it the next day. I hope he knows how wonderful he is to me... The kids were disappointed that I let him open his gifts that night when we got home and they were in bed. Jeez. Bad Mommy. And apparently horrible party planner! So much for those (non-existent) aspirations! It all turned out just great in the end. All that matters is that Michael felt that he matters.
Today I took Maggie and we met Daddy for lunch out. We like this one place, but my ex-roommate is the head waitress there. I've tried to smile in her direction. Tried saying "hi" but she always ignores me. You see, I met Michael, and she met her first ex-husband at the same time. Nearly 17 years ago. I don't remember exactly what happened between us, but it wasn't good. She ended up packing up a lot of my stuff and dumping it on the front lawn of my new place... I do recall that. Hah! Bad on me. Well, today, she ended up having to wait on our table. I finally got my chance! When she took our drink orders, I just told her that I've wanted to tell her for a really long time how sorry I am about everything. She said it was fine, that she gets over stuff easily. Maybe now, but back then, the girl could hold a grudge like it was super glued to her palm! Then she was chatty McChatter. Talking about her kids, her ex-husband's, bringing Michael stuff before he even asked for it. It was so great. A major weight was lifted from my shoulders. I'd feel it whenever I would see her, and I guess she must have felt something too. Forgiveness is a beautiful gift, and I'm really thankful she gave it to me.
posted by Terri at
8/19/2008 12:07:00 AM

|
|
4 Comments:
<$BlogItemComments$>-
<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...
-
<$BlogCommentBody$>
-
<$BlogCommentDateTime$>
<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment
<< Home