Books and Breathing
________________________________________________________________
I lurves my books... I had a windfall and ended up getting a lot of books I've had kicking around on my wish list. *drool* It's interesting how the universe works. You have no money, you keep having no money. Yet somehow if you turn that corner, money seems to attract money. For me? Books attract books. Michael bought me 4 new floor to ceiling bookcases when our friends moved. Not only are they full, I've managed to have to pile my paperbacks in stacks in front of hardcovers. It's not very attractive, but at least they aren't stacked on the floor.
Paperbackswap.com has been very good to me. Today, two books from PBS show up, and two packages from the owner of the review site I write for. I'm drowning in books. Tonight I check my e-mail and an author I've reviewed for wants me to review another one of his books being published in a couple months. It's so cool. It's an honor, really. But dude! I can't keep up with all the books he writes and what I want to read and what I'm supposed to read for the website. I like problems like this... Books are like breathing to me.
So when my Mom tagged me for this little book meme, I couldn't resist.
Okie dokie. Well, I'm currently reading 4 books, but I just finished A Skating Life: My Story by Dorothy Hamill. I've been in memoir mode and Dorothy was my hero growing up. In fact I should post my review of this book in my book blog.
Anyhoo... Okay, got my book. Turning to page 123, fifth sentence.
In the early 70's, I had met a blind skater in Wilmington, Delaware, by the name of Stash Serafin, when I skated in a show for Ron Ludington's rink. I was moved to tears by Stash's courageous performance. He didn't let his blindness stop him from expressing his passion on the ice.
Now Dorothy is an athlete primarily and while it's a good book, and inspiring and sometimes heart-wrenching book, it wasn't the best autobiography I've ever read. But that was okay, because of little treasures like that. Dorothy remains my hero. Not because of her skating, but because of her courage.
I'm supposed to tag five people, but I'm sure this has gone around enough that everyone has been tagged already... If you're interested, consider yourself tagged! I love discovering new books and learning about people through what they like to read.
7 Comments:
<$BlogItemComments$>-
<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...
-
<$BlogCommentBody$>
-
<$BlogCommentDateTime$>
<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment
<< Home