There Be Wolves Here!
________________________________________________________________
The last few weeks, we've heard reports of wolves in our area. I've been concerned to say the least. I haven't been letting the kids play outside without the dog, and I haven't been letting them play outside at all anymore. Our neighbor rode his snow machine around and saw some blood in the snow in a vacant lot down the road. He goes out with his kids now with a gun to wait for the school bus. Ah, life in Alaska!
Before I knew how close they were, I let the girls run to the mail box with the dog. After they returned yesterday, they saw this behind my van. Right behind my van in our driveway. Of course, Jack had to mark it with a little pee spot.
Michael recognized the bone as a small jaw bone from a small animal. He reported it to Fish and Game this morning and they said they've had other reports of wolves right in our area. Yikes.
Now I know it's hard for folks who don't live in the "wilderness" to understand, but I have to vent a bit. The well meaning environmentalists have prevented wolf control. Shooting the wolves from helicopters, trapping them, what have you. What has been the result? The moose and caribou population is way down. Bears and wolves have been wandering into populated areas because the poor things are starving! There are too many of them. Is it more humane to kill some of them quickly or let large groups of them starve to death, or snack on some children or skiers? It's just so sad for the animals, and scary for the kids!
Timmy is literally bouncing off the walls because he doesn't have an outlet for his little boy energy. It's snowing big huge fluffy beautiful flakes outside and I'm not comfortable letting them play outside. Obviously! It's torturous!
Fish and Game said they can't really do anything about it because the snow cover is so heavy, that they can't see the wolves. The poor things are out there miserable and starving and are no longer afraid of people. It's not a good situation for anyone.
posted by Terri at
12/14/2007 11:47:00 AM>5 comments
5 Comments:
<$BlogItemComments$>-
<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...
-
<$BlogCommentBody$>
-
<$BlogCommentDateTime$>
<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment
<< Home