::Serendipity::



 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 
_______________________ _______________________ _______________________ ________________________
 
 

 

 

 

 

 


It Was a Holly Jolly Christmas! ________________________________________________________________


We had ourselves a merry little Christmas! There is nothing like Christmas morning. I look forward to it all year. Of course it was bittersweet with Mom not here (darn my dad!) and she was always on my mind, but focusing on the kids helped. And we had Christmas via webcam, and that was a ton of fun! It was hard and sad to see her, but not BE with her, but it was really awesome to be able to share the day and for her to see the kids open all the thoughtful presents she gave them.

We told the kids they couldn't get up until 8AM. We were up until 2AM on Christmas Eve putting the final touches on gifts and helping out Santa. Suddenly, my eyes pop open and it's 8:34! Michael wakes up with a start too. We look at each other with question in our eyes. It's quiet. How can it possibly be so quiet? The kids must still be asleep. So we get up and go out to the living room to find all the kids (except Riley, who is still snoozing) sitting on the couch waiting patiently. They didn't even touch their stockings! I was shocked beyond belief. I still don't know what came over my children, but I certainly don't expect it to happen twice!

I haven't blogged about it previously, but we had a benefactor helping us out this Christmas. A long time friend asked if her family could help out our family by giving us all gifts. It was kind of hard to accept at first. I hate being a burden to anyone. I hate being indebted. I hate feeling like we can't take care of ourselves. But my friend made it clear that's not what it was about. Someone did this for her, and how she wanted to pay it forward and do it for us. It was a humbling experience. I really hope she knows how much it meant to all of us. Saying "thanks" a hundred times feels so inadequate.

I don't think we've ever had so many gifts under the tree. We've always wanted to be careful of giving them too many gifts at Christmas. We want them to appreciate what they are given and prevent the "rip and toss" that happens with some kids. Michael's parents gave their kids 3 or 4 small gifts at Christmas. My family gave a lot more. I was an only child with a grandmother that showed love with stuff. I don't think I was ever spoiled, but it sure was a possibility. I'm glad that even with more presents, my kids were still grateful for everything down to the fuzzy socks and and board games.

Oh, Michael was able to get a Wii for the kids! He tried a couple times at various places and stood in line for hours just to have them sell out. Finally, a friend of his bought an extra one, and sold it to us. The second to last one in town. It was very exciting, and I have a feeling he marked it up a bit. Heh. My MIL got the kids a game and more controllers so the four oldest kids can all play together. That was a huge surprise.

After the in-laws came over and partook of our Christmas ham, the kids fired up the Wii and everyone played tennis and boxing and baseball. I can't remember when we've all had so much fun together! After the little ones went to bed, Michael, Riley and I played tennis for about an hour. I had a sore arm before we were through. Hah! The kids woke up this morning complaining of aching arms too. Hilarious! I love that they are moving their little bodies as they play.

Oh, Michael spoiled me, of course. He gave me loads of unique Fiestaware, the kids gave me jammies and a soft robe and...Michael gave me a gorgeous claddagh ring like I've always wanted with a gorgeous emerald in the center for the heart. He's so very, very good to me. He took the kids out all day Christmas Eve to shop for me. I sent him out with a Barnes and Noble wishlist, which he refused to use because it wasn't fun. He wanted to come up with thoughtful things on his own. Awwww! It sounds really snotty to say, but I can't believe no one got me any books! I love books. I breathe books! I gave most everyone books because we all love books. He's always surprising me, even by not giving me what I expect and coming up with something better. I'm a lucky, lucky lady.

My sis in law is having a heck of a time. Not only did her asshole husband leave her a day before Thanksgiving with a torn up bathroom and no running water, but he insists on calling and making her life heck telling her she's too fat, she's no fun, he never really loved her, nice things like that. He even said that she tricked him into staying with her by getting pregnant. That he loves his son, but they never should have had him.

She's been working through the holidays and still has no water. She dropped her son off this morning and he is just so sweet. I love having him. He's so hungry for love. He was pouting, missing his mama and he climbed up on my lap. Michael was behind me and started to sing to him and stroke his face and he just soaked it up. I never knew I could love a child so much that wasn't mine. I hope we can make up for what his father clearly lacks.

All she wanted for him for Christmas was some books. So I felt compelled to give him Horton Hears a Who. With the lovely feelings his daddy has for him, I wanted him to hear that he is important. That a person is a person, no matter how small. That he matters. That he is loved.

posted by Terri at 12/26/2007 12:17:00 PM >8 comments

8 Comments:

<$BlogItemComments$>
<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...
<$BlogCommentBody$>
<$BlogCommentDateTime$> <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

Post a Comment

<< Home

Main Menu

Home
My Profile

Our Next President


Groups

Book Lovers
Busy Cooks

Blog Roll

My Awesome Mom
Kitchen Logic
Pantyless Preacher’s Wife
Notes from the Trenches
Jane Doe
AJ’s Clubhouse
Spynotes
Bettyalready
Chaos Daily
Cosmic Crayola
Darlafly
Dragging My Ink*Locked*
Forty Plus
Hindmost
Kitchen Cook
Kitchen Lite *Locked*
Requiel

Book Blogs

Mine: AK Book Mama
Books Along the Way
Just Read the Book!
Kristie Loves Books
The Book Bitches
Trashionista

Description

This is a weblog design modified (with Love) from Purple-ish by Irisheyes' Husband. Copyright 2007

Shelfari Bookshelf


Awards

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Archives


May 2007

June 2007

July 2007

August 2007

September 2007

October 2007

November 2007

December 2007

January 2008

February 2008

March 2008

April 2008

May 2008

June 2008

July 2008

August 2008

September 2008

October 2008

November 2008

December 2008

January 2009

February 2009

March 2009

April 2009

May 2009

September 2009

October 2009

April 2010

May 2010


Powered By







 

Google AdS