::Serendipity::



 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 
_______________________ _______________________ _______________________ ________________________
 
 

 

 

 

 

 


Maggie's Birthday and Father's Day Events ________________________________________________________________
We celebrated Mag's birthday at the lake Saturday. I made sure Michael called his parents to see if it was okay if we went out there. It is their cabin after all. His mom was odd about it (no surprise there) and asked if they were invited to her party. He said of course. Then she said they probably wouldn't be out because FIL wanted to work in the garden. Okaaay. I still thought they might come out. Or call Maggie. Or something. Why do I think this? I was determined that it wouldn't bother me one way or the other and I succeeded for a while, but yesterday it all came to a head.

Michael took them out that morning for some fun stuff while I finished the potato salad and her cake and wrapped her gifts. When they got back, I had "the talk" with her. She seemed to appreciate learning why all these wonderful womanly things happened, but apparently I was too late. She'd already had an underwear incident and Riley told her it was okay and she'd be fine and that was that. Neither of them mentioned it again. Color me a tad shocked! I guess Riley exuded such confidence that she'd be fine that she wasn't worried and forgot to tell me of these life changing events!

So her Big Girl Bag was a big hit. I bought her pretty razors and shaving cream that Riley coveted and coconut antiperspirant that Michael coveted and lots of little lip glosses and nail polishes and a new brush and little things (pads)to prepare her for young womanhood. (Puberty Pack was an awful name, Terri T. And I actually even called it Big Girl Bag on my list!)

She loved her Hawaiian cake and having dinner out on the deck after a full afternoon of swimming in the sun. Michael called his parents to ask if they wanted to come have chicken with us and she said no. Gave no reason for it. Just no. They had something more important to do I guess. I can't imagine what on earth is more important than Maggie.

His Dad called and left a lame message on my cell phone while we were at church wishing her a happy birthday. "Hi this is Dad. Tell Maggie Happy Birthday and tell Mike Happy Father's Day. Good bye." Michael called to wish him a happy Father's Day and he was still rather limp. Wishing Maggie a happy birthday through him, not asking to speak to her. His mom didn't talk to her either. I wonder what their Mormon church buddies would think about that? I wonder if my sister in law (married to Michael's brother) would tolerate them ignoring her children? I wonder why I continue to care? But I do. Because I feel like Maggie deserves more, darnit. A lot more. I guess at least they did remember this year, right?

Apparently this is my fault because I don't call them enough. Or ask them to be a part of our lives enough. When I do talk to my MIL, she has this reproachful tone and says things like, "Well, if you need me I'm here. We're family and if you need me to take the kids one afternoon, I'd be glad to." I usually respond with a, "That's really nice, but Riley is a big help and so is Maggie. But if I really need a hand, I'll let you know." After over a decade and a half of needing them and having them be "too busy", it's too late now. The kids have grown up. I don't have 3 toddlers and one grade school child anymore. That's when I really could have used a hand, ooo baby! But when we do call and give them an engraved invitation, they aren't available. And so continues the dance...

I wished I could have done more for Michael for Father's Day. He always makes Mother's Day so special for me. If you look back in my diary from a year ago, I'm sure I said the same thing. And the year before that. And the year before that! It's this money monster that prevents me from making it all I wish it could be. Anyway, I asked if he wanted to cook out for Father's Day. He didn't really want to, because he has to get the charcoal going and do all the cooking and he definitely deserves to relax! So he told me what he wanted to eat (recipes will follow later) and I cooked it because that's what I do! I spent all day in the kitchen while he changed diapers. Ironic, no? But he loved changing Xander and got mighty morphin power hugs for his trouble.

Although on the hottest day of the year this summer (only around 80, but still)did we have to have something hot from the stove for dinner? Heh!

Riley and I managed to get him a T-shirt that says "Big Daddy" on it. And his special present was The Dangerous Book For Boys. (Take a sec and watch that video!) He immediately started pouring over all the fun things in it. From Navajo code talkers to making a bow and arrow and constellations. I think our boys have some fun weekends coming up in the near future!

Last night we had a huge thunder and lightening storm. Lightening is kind of rare up here. Not like the brilliant storms I remember as a little girl back East. The girls upstairs have a big window facing the North side of the house and they had a gorgeous view of the storm. Whenever there was a flash, we heard their we're-not-really-scared-isn't-this-cool screams. The power went out a couple times and Tim didn't like that. It's pitch black in his room and there are no windows. Xander was fast asleep though it all. So we told him he could sleep with his sisters and then we heard 3 screams of we're-not-really-scared-isn't-this-cool.

Okay, now I have to get ready to see the doctor. I always work out in my head what I want to say, so I don't forget anything and I don't sound like a boob. But I rarely end up having to use what I work out in my head and I'm asked about things that never occurred to me and I sound like a boob. This is reason 284 why I hate going to the doctor. Oh, and I need another chest X-ray today to make sure the pneumonia is really gone now. I love standing in a cold room with nothing but thin paper over my boobs holding my arms in strange positions. The thin paper is my favorite. I might have to reward myself with a peace of quiet before I come home. I.E. a trip to Barnes and Noble to sit in front of the surprisingly unhot fire and finish my Repairman Jack novel.N N N

posted by Terri at 6/18/2007 09:43:00 AM >2 comments

2 Comments:

<$BlogItemComments$>
<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...
<$BlogCommentBody$>
<$BlogCommentDateTime$> <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

Post a Comment

<< Home

Main Menu

Home
My Profile

Our Next President


Groups

Book Lovers
Busy Cooks

Blog Roll

My Awesome Mom
Kitchen Logic
Pantyless Preacher’s Wife
Notes from the Trenches
Jane Doe
AJ’s Clubhouse
Spynotes
Bettyalready
Chaos Daily
Cosmic Crayola
Darlafly
Dragging My Ink*Locked*
Forty Plus
Hindmost
Kitchen Cook
Kitchen Lite *Locked*
Requiel

Book Blogs

Mine: AK Book Mama
Books Along the Way
Just Read the Book!
Kristie Loves Books
The Book Bitches
Trashionista

Description

This is a weblog design modified (with Love) from Purple-ish by Irisheyes' Husband. Copyright 2007

Shelfari Bookshelf


Awards

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Archives


May 2007

June 2007

July 2007

August 2007

September 2007

October 2007

November 2007

December 2007

January 2008

February 2008

March 2008

April 2008

May 2008

June 2008

July 2008

August 2008

September 2008

October 2008

November 2008

December 2008

January 2009

February 2009

March 2009

April 2009

May 2009

September 2009

October 2009

April 2010

May 2010


Powered By







 

Google AdS