|
|
Like Water Off a Duck's Back
________________________________________________________________
I'm trying really hard not to be insulted by my friend at church, AKA Mrs. Garden Gnome. Now I suppose that it does seem unchristian-like to refer to her as Mrs. Garden Gnome, but it's for the sake of anonymity and no ill will is intended. Seriously! And it's easier then saying "my friend from church", because I do have more then one. Anyway, I asked Mrs. Garden Gnome what gift she had in mind for the wedding shower. Then we started to chat about it a little.
Mrs. Garden Gnome: Oh, and they asked me to speak at the shower. (In an I'm slightly put upon tone of voice.)
Me: Yes, they asked me too.
Mrs. Garden Gnome: They DID?!
Me: Um, yes. They did.
Mrs. Garden Gnome: REALLY?!
Me: Uh, yes. And I'm sort of nervous about it.
Mrs. Garden Gnome: Oh, no need to be nervous. I hope you've been working on what you're going to say though.
Yeah, I'm not nervous now at all! Sheesh. Is it that unlikely that I would be asked to say a few words? Her reaction kind of bothered me. Then she was short with me the rest of the day. What the heck? Whatever. I'll make like a duck and let it roll off.
But I did come up with a pretty good idea for the shower gift. It's not a cute nightie like Mrs. Garden Gnome, but I hope it will work out! I am going to take a basket and line it with pretty dish towels and pot holders. Then I'm going to get her a Rachael Ray cookbook, because I adore RR. I'll add a wooden spoon or whatever kitchen-y knick knacks I can find that won't break my non existent bank and then I'm going to put together a little collection of our favorite family recipes. My Mom did that for me one year for Christmas, and I treasured it. Granted, they aren't HER family recipes, but I hope that she'll like them. I should probably just get her a picture frame or some bath goodies, but I have a bee in my bonnet over making this basket. I've never made a gift basket before, so if any of you have any pointers, SHARE!
I volunteered to bring cookies to the wedding this Saturday. The lady in charge was very specific that they HAD to be in her colors, pink and brown. Aren't those great colors?! Love it! Anyway, I'm trying to find something special and unusual. The kids wanted to make chocolate something because chocolate is brown. Duh. Too simple. I must complicate matters!
Yesterday I tried out a recipe for chocolate coffee filled cupcakes. They are evil. The cake itself has coffee, and then the filling has Kahlua and cream cheese, and the buttercream frosting has Kahlua as well. They are decadent! And then I wanted to top them with chocolate covered espresso beans and use pink cupcake wrappers. Then I realized most people probably wouldn't like their children to have coffee and Kahlua cupcakes. Darnit! I was going to bring some to church today and have the bride sample them and see if SHE likes them. To heck with the kids, it's the bride's day afterall. Besides, what the kids don't know, won't hurt them, but might make them want a nappy after the wedding festivities. *wink wink* But there were some bathroom issues this morning and we were running late, so I forgot to bring them. Double darn.
I asked Michael how he liked them and he said they were good. Just good. As in fine. Imagine me doing a double take. What? My chocoholic husband just said they were good. As in blah. As in not wonderful. If he doesn't say something I make is wonderful, then it sucks. But these don't suck. They are nirvana in little paper wrappers. I don't understand. He's been doing so well with his eating. No bad snacks. No candy. Maybe his taste buds are off, or cupcakes just aren't his thing anymore. Or maybe pod people have replaced him and I'm living with an alien that's going to eat my brain while I sleep.
posted by Terri at
6/03/2007 04:35:00 PM

|
|
8 Comments:
<$BlogItemComments$>-
<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...
-
<$BlogCommentBody$>
-
<$BlogCommentDateTime$>
<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment
<< Home