|
|
I Love My Books!
________________________________________________________________
Last night was another DA meeting (Dumbledore's Army...Harry *Potter stuff for those who don't know) at Barnes and Noble. I brought Timmy this time because he's been listening a lot more during reading time at night. He loves his man time with Daddy and Xander when I take the girls, but I think he wanted to see what he was missing. And he hoped to score some cool stuff during the trivia contest at the end of the meeting. Which he did, thanks to Harry *Potter bingo! Weeee!
Riley has volunteered to work at B&N during their midnight party for the release of the 7th and final *choke* *cough* *sob* book. She needs to be there from 5PM until at least midnight but they would prefer 2AM. I hope they have a nice little something for their volunteers because that's a lot of hours, man! And a bleary eyed mommy has to pick her up at 2AM. Volunteering is great when you're helping the elderly, but helping spastic little kids make magic wands for 9 hours doesn't give you the same warm fuzzy. She hopes that when she's 16, Barnes and Noble will be her first job. She better hope I let her work when she's 16!
So in we stroll heading to the back where the children's section is, and I spy with my little eye, the new Stephanie Plum, Lean Mean Thirteen by Janet *Evanovich staring at me. It's calling me. Beckoning if you will. I have $25.00 left of my grocery money. I could buy the book and make the kids eat Top Ramen for lunch for a week. Wait, I'm doing that anyway. Ummm. I could buy the book and make the kids eat Top Ramen for dinner every night too. I guess that wouldn't fly. Good bye, book. You cannot tempt me further.
And so it keeps calling to me. I hear it throughout the discussion about Ginny Weasly and her dynamic with Harry.
Book: Terrrrrriiiiii. You know you want me!
Me: Oh, I do. I really, really do.
Book: Terrrriiiii. Did you forget my release date? I'm hurt. Truly. Terrriiiii.... Come buy me. You know you want to.
Me: Oh, yes. I want to.
Book: Think of Stephanie and Ranger and Joe, Terri. Think of Grandma Mazur and Lula. I have good times in these pages. Don't make yourself wait. You deserve a nice new hardcover book!
Me: No. No I don't. You can't make me. Shut up, book.
Book: But you have all the other Stephanie Plum books. You know you can't make me wait forever. Your book group is going to start raving about me and you won't have anything to contribute.
Me: Book, you think you have all the answers, don't you? Well, okay. Fine. You do. But I can still wait. You'll be there next month.
Book: Harry *Potter and the Deathly Hallows comes out next month. You have to buy at least two copies of that for the kids. You have them reserved. Buy me now while you still can.
Me: Book, you're really ticking me off. You can wait, now shut your pages! Obnoxious book... Thinks it knows everything.
Yesterday I finished my Repairman Jack book, Legacies. I adore Repairman Jack. I heart Repairman Jack. I fell in love with him about thirty pages into the first book, The Tomb. Legacies is only the second. And he's just as fabu. And best of all I have about 8 or 9 more to look forward to! And thanks to Paperbackswap, they are sitting on my "To Be Read" shelf at this very moment. But I learned a while ago, that I tend to burn myself out if I read too many books from the same series. I learned this lesson the hard way.
So I denied myself the pleasure of Conspiracies, and picked up James Patterson's 3rd Degree from the Women's Murder Club series I'm also way behind in. I have some lovely women's lit waiting for me on my TBR shelf as well. And some classics, and a few more mystery series calling me. And I wanted to read Half Blood Prince again too. Goodness.
I know all the books I'm reading have a Lexile rating of about 5th grade. But I love them so. I love them all!
Except romances. I have a book snobbery about romances, and a friend is working on getting me over it. She's weaned me on women's lit authors like Luanne Rice and Kristen Hannah and those are very nice. But I don't enjoy the thrusting, pulsing, throbbing porn for women that is traditional romance. Although when I was a young woman, Beatrice Small did teach me a few things that my husband appreciates to this day.
posted by Terri at
6/20/2007 09:33:00 AM

|
|
4 Comments:
<$BlogItemComments$>-
<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...
-
<$BlogCommentBody$>
-
<$BlogCommentDateTime$>
<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment
<< Home